Everyone at some point in their lives will be called upon to speak live about a topic, subject, or have to make a statement, host a party, give a presentation at work, speak at a wedding and so on. Regardless of your personality type, or how experienced you are at public speaking, everyone can benefit from learning a few tips and tricks to make your speech or presentation the best it can possibly be.
The fear of public speaking is one of the most prevalent of all phobias. Many people would rather die than have to get up in front of an audience and give a speech. But public speaking does not have to be a fate worse than death. In fact, it can be a very enjoyable and rewarding communication tool for those who follow the wise advice and tips found in this information below.
Learn how to reach out to a group of people with panache, style, and grace and really connect with your audience. Once you understand how to truly reach people and communicate effectively, a whole new world of possibilities will be opened to you! Here’s some pointers and tips for everyone no matter where you stand on public speaking.
Here are a few tips taken from Toast Masters:
1. Know your material. Pick a topic you are interested in. Know more about it than you include in your speech. Use humor, personal stories and conversational language – that way you won’t easily forget what to say.
2. Practice. Practice. Practice! Rehearse out loud with all equipment you plan on using. Revise as necessary. Work to control filler words; Practice, pause and breathe. Practice with a timer and allow time for the unexpected.
3. Know the audience. Greet some of the audience members as they arrive. It’s easier to speak to a group of friends than to strangers.
4. Know the room. Arrive early, walk around the speaking area and practice using the microphone and any visual aids.
5. Relax. Begin by addressing the audience. It buys you time and calms your nerves. Pause, smile and count to three before saying anything. (“One one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand. Pause. Begin.) Transform nervous energy into enthusiasm.
6. Visualize yourself giving your speech. Imagine yourself speaking, your voice loud, clear and confident. Visualize the audience clapping – it will boost your confidence.
7. Realize that people want you to succeed. Audiences want you to be interesting, stimulating, informative and entertaining. They’re rooting for you.
8. Don’t apologize for any nervousness or problem – the audience probably never noticed it.
9. Concentrate on the message – not the medium. Focus your attention away from your own anxieties and concentrate on your message and your audience.
10. Gain experience. Mainly, your speech should represent you — as an authority and as a person. Experience builds confidence, which is the key to effective speaking. A Toastmasters club can provide the experience you need in a safe and friendly environment.
Those are just a few tips. For more on the subject, I strongly recommend getting this inexpensive CD pack called Public Speaking. This information will help you tremendously in everything you do, including offer suggestions on how to communicate more effectively at home or work. Anyone can learn, practice and improve. You can learn what it takes to be an incredible speaker and influence many or simply learn some new skills to better communicate with your children, spouse, boss or friend.
Pursuing excellence takes hard work but it’s worth it. Leadership is all about influence. Better speaking skills will make you a better leader. When you become a better leader, everything in life gets better; so communicate better and lead on!
Ben is a Commercial Airline pilot with Southwest Airlines and has been flying Commercially for over 27 years. Ben is also a LIFE-Leadership business owner, entrepreneur, Realtor, blog author, husband, friend, educator, coach, mentor and founder/owner of the THE LEADERSHIP LANDING.
THE LEADERSHIP LANDING was founded, created and designed to specifically combine a unique blend of leadership principles and practices utilized in today’s modern airline cockpit, along with the leadership training and education from award winning corporation, LIFE Inc, a global leadership service provider.
THE LEADERSHIP LANDING specializes in Corporate Leadership Training, Financial Education, Airline and other professional interview & Resume preparation, Personal Development, Life Coaching, business consulting, inspiration, motivation, success training & much more.
For more info about Ben and THE LEADERSHIP LANDING, go to Www.theleadershiplanding.com